Tuesday, July 21, 2009

No Dip Marble Effect Technique

In the altered cigar box the background is a marble effect, and I was asked how I had achieved this effect. I had been considering putting up a tutorial for it, but the request was just the push I needed. So, here goes, my very first tutorial. First gather items to be used. Item to be marbled, paint, spray bottle with water, and something heavy to prop item against. I used an 8 x 8 inch canvas panel as my item; red, white, blue, and black acrylic craft paint (the craft acrylic works best because of its thin viscosity); and a recycled milk jug filled with water for the prop.

This can be a messy project. Be sure to cover your work area well!!!

TIP: If you don't get a newspaper regularly, you could try going to a local printer and ask if they have any end rolls. Mom gets me an end roll of newsprint paper for a few dollars, and it lasts forever. I use it for everything from crafting to packaging.
Next, while your item is still lying flat on the table, apply paint straight from the bottle in random patterns. I usually start out with two or three colors and then add as I go.

Now, pick item up from the table, and lean against the prop. As you can see in the photo above, the paint had started to "run" before I could even snap a picture. Let the paint run until you feel it is time to turn the item. My personal rule of thumb is to turn the item when the paint has ran to an edge. If you look at the photo below, on the right edge of the canvas, you can see where I turned the canvas when paint was at the edge.


As you continue to turn the item, you will want to start adding paint. I added white paint along the whole top edge of the canvas with varied pressure on the bottle. The photo below is after several turns and additions of paint. It's fun to watch the different colors push and pull each other into a marbled pattern.


As you go, you will see "holes" in the paint. Continue adding paint onto these places. It will help to drip the paint a bit above these holes, as it will drag more paint down with it. The closer you get to being done, the more paint you will have running off onto the surface of your work area.
The main thing to remember during this whole process, in the words of The Byrds..."Turn, Turn, Turn". Every time you add paint, let it run a little, then turn, and let it run again.
You might be wondering why there is a spray bottle in this tutorial, when I haven't mentioned it. It can and will speed up the marbling. You can wet the area to work with first, and the paint will gently spread before you stand the item up and prop it. Spraying the paint with water after it is standing will give a very "tight" and small marble. The tight marbling does not fit my intentions for this canvas, so I didn't use it.
When you are done adding paint, and there are no holes left, lay the item flat to dry. In the case of the cigar box, I propped it up so the paint would drip out and not leave a messy pool in the corners. You should allow the item to dry flat or propped for paint run off for 24 hours, or at least overnight.
The paint will seem really thick on the item. Leaning against the wall is a dry 8 x 8 that I had done previously. The texture of the canvas did come back through. That is it!! Please enjoy!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So cool. Will definetly be trying my hand at this. Great job on the explanation. just one question, after the initial paint is put on and you start adding more colors, do you lay it back flat to add them or while it is propped up still????

Thanks for doing this.

Saturday, July 25, 2009  
Blogger Betsy Bryant said...

Kerry, to answer your question, once it is tipped up, I do not lay it back down until it is ready to dry completely. This way, the paint is running the minute it hits the item being marbled. Thanks for stopping by!!

Monday, July 27, 2009  
Blogger di from di-did-it said...

Very nice! I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home